IAFIE was formed in June 2004, as a result of a gathering of 60-plus intelligence studies trainers and educators at the Sixth Annual International Colloquium on Intelligence at Mercyhurst College in Erie, Pennsylvania. This group, from various intelligence disciplines including national security, law enforcement and competitive intelligence, recognized the need for a professional association that would span their diverse disciplines and provide a catalyst and resources for their development and that of Intelligence Studies.
- Expanding research, knowledge, and professional development in intelligence education;
- Providing a forum for the exchange of ideas and information for those interested in and concerned with intelligence education;
- Advancing the intelligence profession by setting standards, building resources, and sharing knowledge in intelligence studies;
- Fostering relationships and cultivating cooperation among intelligence professionals in academia, business, and government;
- Developing, disseminating, and promoting theory, curricula, methodologies, techniques, and best practices for pure and applied intelligence;
- Serving as a liaison between other professional organizations and centers of excellence.